Memories of my life and my subsequent journey as a vegan

March 22, 2009

Why Blog?

I think it's important to try and put in words why I started this blog. I have always wanted to write something formally about my life and memories and I think creating a blog is the perfect way. I have always fancied myself to be a good writer who knows if this is true or not (smile), it remains to be seen. I want this blog to be my means of expression and the way to record my life's memories and also possibly to write about things that are going on presently in my life. Initially I am writing for my own enjoyment and expression but I hope that it will also make enjoyable reading for other people as well.

My experiences with the English language have always been favorable. From primary school upto when I graduated high school English had always been one of my best subjects. The essays I wrote always got good marks from my teachers. From when I was ten years old until I graduated High School reading books was one of my main forms of entertainment. My parents helped to instill this love of reading in me and being of a quiet nature I think I was more conducive to reading as a child.

My parents returned with me and my brother from the United States back to Kandy, Sri Lanka when I was around four years old. From then on I stopped speaking English and reverted back to Sinhala as my mother tongue. Even though I stopped speaking English I could still understand it and we had English as a second language in primary school. My mother used to borrow English children's books for us from the British Council Library and the USIS in Kandy, Sri Lanka. We also used to buy Tintin comics and Lamb Chop comics every week. I think this helped to keep English alive in me until I was ten years old when I got the opportunity to start speaking English again.

I am very excited about blogging and now that I have started, the words just seem to flow and I can't seem to stop writing (smile). I actually initiated my blog in March 2009 and didn't publish anything that I had written on my blog. Then this June 2009 I had some life changing events happen in my life that once again prompted me to actually start writing again and publish some of the excerpts that I had written.

I feel like writing is a form of escapism from the real world. Therefore, I have to watch myself so that I don't get too carried away and neglect what needs to be done in the real world.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, your blog is sweet. I am starting from your oldest post and reading my way up. I'm a lankan, married and living in the US and new to blogging too...

    I love everything about SL and miss it endlessly. Your stories make me feel so nostalgic :) ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, mommythecook I really appreciate your nice comment.

    It is awesome to hear that people like yourself take the time to read it. Gives me motivation to post more.

    Must be interesting living in NY quite different to the West coast where I live. I haven't made it to NY yet but it's on my to visit places. Looked at your blog love your postings as a foodie!

    I can totally relate to loving all things Sri Lankan and missing it. Having been a non resident Lankan more than half my life there have been times of intense longing to return home.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Search This Blog

Favorites

  • Lionel Richie, Glen Campbell
  • Eagles, Carpenters, ABBA
  • Elton John, Beatles, Bee Gees,
  • Victoriana
  • Eighties music
  • The English Patient