Memories of my life and my subsequent journey as a vegan

June 24, 2009

Celebrating my 6th Birthday Sri Lankan style

My parents were busy preparing for my 6th Birthday. Both my Mom and Dad stayed up the night before icing the two ribbon cakes that I took the following morning to share with my Kindergarten mates at the Kandy Convent. The ribbon cake was in 3 layers pink, yellow and light blue if I remember correctly. The butter icing on top was also in pastel colors.

I wore a special silky maroon dress with a smocked bodice that my Mom had made for me. The sleeves were puffed. I remember how I went to the upstairs of the Kandy market to select the fabric for the dress.

My dad dropped me and my brother off at kindergarten along with the two cakes. All the children gathered round in a circle in the room which had an open wall which was covered by an iron grid. One of the cakes was placed in the middle of the circle and every one sang happy birthday to me. The teachers cut the cake into small pieces and shared it with all the children. However, I did note that the teacher did not cut the second cake and probably took the whole cake home!

Over the weekend, I had another party at home. Once again my Mom baked me another cake but it was not a ribbon cake this time. I much preferred the ribbon cake. To my party at home we invited our 3 cousins and uncle and aunt who lived in Kandy. I think we had kavum (oil cakes) but I don't remember what else we had that day.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about the teacher taking away the second cake is cute. You have an amazing memory.

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Search This Blog

Favorites

  • Lionel Richie, Glen Campbell
  • Eagles, Carpenters, ABBA
  • Elton John, Beatles, Bee Gees,
  • Victoriana
  • Eighties music
  • The English Patient