Memories of my life and my subsequent journey as a vegan

March 25, 2010

A special Birthday and Dolls' Wedding

As a twelve year old, I was very interested in playscale dolls and dollhouses. Playscale is defined as 1:6 scale (in playscale 1 inch represents 6inches in real life). Dollhouses are usually in a smaller scale defined as 1:12 scale (that is 1 inch represents 12 inches in real life). Dollhouses also called 'dolls houses' are mostly an adult hobby and the enthusiasts are usually women. Dollhouses in 1:12th scale are normally purchased as kits. The kits have to be assembled. After assembly the dollhouse is decorated and furnished and is a representation of real life on a smaller scale. Larger playscale (1:6) dollhouses are also available suited for play with Barbie dolls and are defined as toys for children.

As a young girl I did not actually own a Barbie doll, but I had other dolls such as Ken, Skipper and a baby doll all by Mattel and Daisy by Mary Quant. For my 12th birthday party I decided to combine my dolls' wedding with my birthday party. I invited my friends and they brought their dolls. My mother made shorteats and cake for my birthday and a special wedding cake for the dolls' wedding. My father was very obliging and took all the pictures of the wedding celebration and party.







Pictured on the left: Myself with friends at the Birthday/ Wedding celebration








Futhermore, my mother made the beautiful white wedding gown of georgette with lace tiers and the net veil that the bride, Daisy is wearing. She also stitched the black suit, shirt and bowtie that the groom, Ken is wearing. Daisy is holding a bouquet of a single magenta rose. The first bridesmaid is Ken's sister Skipper, and she is dressed in a magenta lace strapless gown and holding a white frangipani bouquet. The two little flowergirls are also dressed in magenta lace. The guests at the wedding are my friends' dolls. The wedding ceremony took place on my dressing table in my bedroom.



Below are all the beautiful pictures of the wedding of Ken and Daisy. Sorry that the pictures are a little faded due to the fact that they were taken back in 1979.






(Please double click on picture to enlarge)














(Please double click on picture to enlarge)











(Please double click on picture to enlarge)














Wedding Breakfast (note the Wedding cake on the little table)


(Please double click on picture to enlarge)












(Please double click on picture to enlarge)











Wedding -Group photo





(Please double click on picture to enlarge)

1 comment:

  1. Oh My.. String hoppers !

    U R back eh?

    We really missed U darling :)

    ReplyDelete

Powered By Blogger

Followers

Search This Blog

Favorites

  • Lionel Richie, Glen Campbell
  • Eagles, Carpenters, ABBA
  • Elton John, Beatles, Bee Gees,
  • Victoriana
  • Eighties music
  • The English Patient